Monday, April 07, 2014

Graveyard shift

Click to enlarge © Prashant C. Trikannad

I took this photograph of an old cemetery at 9.37 am on my way to the office. It is located a few blocks away, next to a crematorium. I look at it every morning as I descend from the railway bridge. It is tranquil and in bloom. There is no one about the place. Sometimes I'm tempted to go there and sit quietly with my eyes closed, walk among the burial beds, contemplate on life, read a scary book, write a ghost story, hear the birds calling out or listen to Thriller. The dead inspire too. Maybe, I'll wait until dark and see what happens.

8 comments:

  1. I am hoping for a green burial. Green cemeteries look like parks as this one does. Well cared for parks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, this is one of the few remaining green acres in the island city of Mumbai (Bombay). Illegal encroachment of land continues unabated in the northern suburbs. Ironically, we owe our open spaces to the dead.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a wonderfully peaceful place. Quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, it sure looks that way. I've never been inside, though.

      Delete
  3. Great photo - looks incredibly tranquil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col, thank you. It is a sprawling ground bordered by a high wall. If it weren't for the railway bridge I'd have never known what it was like inside.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely picture Prashant, and what an intriguing place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, thank you. I showed the picture to my colleagues and they didn't realise it was the graveyard located a couple of bylanes away.

      Delete