Sunday, December 04, 2011

FILM REVIEW

Lady and the Tramp

© Walt Disney Pictures
I recently watched Lady and the Tramp (1955) again and loved it as much as I did the first time I saw it in a theatre in the late 1970s. It's one of four animated films from the Walt Disney stable I never tire of watching. The other three are The Jungle Book (1967), Beauty and the Beast (1991), and The Lion King (1994). Each of these films tells a delightful story that you wish you were a part of. You learn as you enjoy. These animated films rest in my CD case.

Lady and the Tramp has some memorable dialogues. Here it is, with a little help from IMDB.


Tramp (Larry Roberts): Not to change the subject, but, um...ever chased chickens?
Lady (Barbara Luddy): I should say not!
Tramp: Oh-ho, then you've never lived!
Lady: But we shouldn't.
Tramp: I know. That's what makes it fun. Aw, come on, kid. Start building some memories.


Lady: What's a... baby?
Jock (Bill Thompson): Well, they... they resemble humans.
Trusty (Bill Baucom): But I'd say a mite smaller.
Jock: Aye, and they walk on all fours.
Trusty: And if I remember correctly... they beller a lot.
Jock: Aye, and they're very expensive. You'll no be permitted to play wi' it.
Trusty: But they're mighty sweet.
Jock: And very very soft.
Tramp: Just a cute little bundle... of trouble!


Tramp: Just a cute little bundle... of trouble. Yeah, they scratch, pinch, pull ears... Aw, but shucks, any dog can take that. It's what they do to your happy home. Move it over, will ya, friend? Homewreckers, that's what they are!
Jock: Look here, laddie! Who are you to barge in?
Tramp: The voice of experience, buster. Just wait 'til Junior gets here. You feel the urge for a nice, comfortable scratch, and... "Put that dog out! He'll get fleas all over the baby!" You start barking at some strange mutt...
Tramp: "Stop that racket, you'll wake the baby!" And then... then they hit you on the room and board department. Oh, remember those nice, juicy cuts of beef? Forget 'em. Leftover baby food. And that nice, warm bed by the fire? A leaky dog house.
Lady: Oh, dear!


Lady: ...But when she put that horrible muzzle on me...
Tramp: Say no more, I get the whole picture. Aunts, cats, muzzles... Well, that what comes of tying yourself down to one family.
Lady: Haven't you a family?
Tramp: One for every day of the week. The point is, none of them have me.



Don't forget to check out Tuesday's Overlooked/Forgotten films at Todd Mason's blog.

6 comments:

  1. I do remember it fondly. A good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charles, I forgot to mention another feline film from Disney, THE ARISTOCATS (1970), purring around tomcat Thomas O'Malley (Phil Harris) and Duchess (Eva Gabor). Gold Key used to publish "O'Malley and the Alley Cats" comic books. These cats were something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, the old Disney greats. This was one of the films in which dogs carried the day. Besides 101 Dalmations, of course.

    I loved the use of the voice of Peggy Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yvette, I enjoyed the recent versions of 101 DALMATIANS though I'd love to see ONE HUNDRED AND ONE DALMATIONS (1961) again with Rod Taylor as Pongo and Betty Lou Gerson as Cruella De Vil.

    ReplyDelete