Monday, March 09, 2015

Spontaneity is the art of life

One July afternoon, four years ago, I finished my lunch in office and on an impulse decided to draw something. I typed “scenery” and “landscape” in Google images and found one I thought would be easy to sketch in half an hour. After all, I was being paid to bring out a newspaper, not give vent to my creative juices. I picked up my HB pencil and rubber, flicked an A4-size paper from the printer, and proceeded to replicate the image sitting on my desktop. I don’t know what inspired me at the time. It was probably the canteen food laced with sodium bicarbonate. Two days later, my pet dog, who was less than a year old, made a nice meal out of my sketch. Luckily, I’d got it scanned. This was the end result. 

Copyright: Prashant C. Trikannad

I might add that professional art runs on my mother’s side though just about everyone in the family dabbles in it. I might also add that I posted just this sketch on my blog in July 2011. Back then, I was new to blogging and didn’t know many bloggers. Okay, now I'm fishing!

14 comments:

  1. That's lovely, Prashant! Too funny about the canteen food. :) As for the puppy...well, I guess everyone's a critic! Same thing happened to me with an outline about 9 years ago...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, thank you. Bicarbonate of soda is used liberally by affordable restaurants and roadside eateries, which makes the food heavy on the stomach. I believe it enhances the quantity without actually doing so, which means more money for less food.

      Delete
  2. That's not bad. I have to say I can't draw to save my life. We had a sketch of our dog that I did on our fridge for a few years - it looked like it had a human head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col, thank you. I'd love to see your sketch of the dog with a human head! I'm planning to dabble in art more seriously.

      Delete
  3. I like that. I admire anyone who can draw because I surely cannot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, thank you. I enjoy drawing and painting. I prefer landscapes to, say, portraits. I'm not very good at drawing faces.

      Delete
  4. Pretty good, byya. I sketch occasionally, but am no good at drawing people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, thank you. I'm not good at drawing people either; I can never get the face right.

      Delete
  5. Well done. Wish I had that skill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David, thank you. Sometimes I wonder if I shouldn't have followed my mother's artistic side instead of my father's journalistic side, as I finally did.

      Delete
  6. My husband and daughter have such talent but not me. Very nice indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thank you. There is always an artist or two in every family.

      Delete
  7. Very nice picture. I've just been reading By the Pricking of My Thumbs by Agatha Christie, and a very similar picture takes a big role in the plot, so it was quite spooky to see your picture too - I wondered if you'd been reading the book! The sleuths have to track down the location of the house from an oil painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, thank you. I haven't read that particular Agatha Christie novel. I downloaded the image from Google and drew it. What a coincidence, though. I must remember this picture when I read the book.

      Delete