Friday, November 28, 2014

B(l)ogged down

You might have noticed that I haven't posted anything significant since my review of the first Hardy Boys adventure on November 21. I have been rather busy with work-related commitments and deadlines. Although I do get the time to read, especially while commuting to and from my office—a good 45-minute journey one way—I prefer to play chess online, listen to music, or play scrabble on my tab with Android as my opponent. All three activities reduce stress. I find a game of chess extremely relaxing and addictive. It keeps the mind off mundane thoughts. There is immense satisfaction in checkmating your opponent or getting your opponent to resign, and you don’t need anyone to rejoice in your victory.

Meanwhile, I completed John Grisham’s latest Gray Mountain and read a short story by Leonard Finley Hilts called Murder Rides High, both of which I’ll be reviewing soon. For now, though, I'm content visiting blogs and leaving comments, if I have something to say. It’s actually a relief for me not to post my own.

12 comments:

  1. Enjoy your hiatus. Looking forward to your reviews as and when

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col, I'll probably review both early next week. I'm looking forward to writing about GRAY MOUNTAIN.

      Delete
  2. I used to play a lot of chess but haven't played in several years. I probably allow video games to consume me too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, I rediscovered my passion for chess quite recently though I mostly play online, which is not the way I like to play this beautiful game.

      Delete
  3. I'll be curious to hear about John Grisham's latest. I wish I knew how to play chess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fleur, I have a few thoughts on the Grisham novel which I'll voice next week. I credit my father for teaching me chess when I was in first standard (grade).

      Delete
  4. We miss your posts, Prashant but it's nice to see you pop up on my blog! I have no idea how to play chess but I do like cryptic crosswords so I'm not completely thick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, you're welcome. I used to solve and also compile crosswords once upon a time. Cryptics are my favourite and I solve them occasionally.

      Delete
  5. I find online crosswords relaxing. Soduko, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron, while I play chess online, I prefer solving newspaper crosswords. I have never tried Sudoku. I'm very bad at numbers and that includes math in all its terrifying forms.

      Delete
  6. I think I know exactly how you feel - I am definitely taking a break in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, sometimes I just feel too tired to write anything, especially since my newspaper job involves a lot of writing, rewriting, proofing, compiling, and researching.

      Delete