Sunday, May 15, 2016

Drabble #5: A story in 100 words

Mike Hammer sat in a quiet corner in the library and read My Gun is Quick by Mickey Spillane.

“Excuse me, sir. What is that book you are reading?”

Mike looked up into the grim faces of a police inspector and a constable. The librarian, colour draining from her cheeks, lurched against a bookcase.

How dare you! Books about guns, sex, and violence are banned.

The inspector held a pair of handcuffs. “You are under arrest.”

“I don’t think so.”


The gun in Mike’s hand coughed...once, then twice.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, Prashant, that is fabulous! I really like that double twist on the novel and on the Mike Hammer character. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margot! I thought the cover would lend a nice tough to the drabble.

      Delete
  2. Loved it. Brought a big grin to my face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Charles. This one was mild compared to my last two efforts.

      Delete
  3. Very clever, Prashant. I am enjoying your drabbles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice one Prashant - I was just looking at a Mike Hammer book at the weekend and thinking I might crack it open!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sergio. I have read a few Spillane novels and generally enjoyed them. Fast paced, good action.

      Delete
  5. Bravo, Prashant. Loved the gun that coughed. Nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done. Plus a reminder to read something from Spillane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Col! I read just one Spillane book in the past five years. I'm looking for some this year.

      Delete