Wednesday, September 02, 2015

All quiet on the reading front

The last three months have been quiet. I could almost hear pins drop as I struggled with my reading, writing, and blogging. The transition from my old job as editor to my new job as content writer has been easy but somehow I haven’t been able to get back to my pre-May routine with books and blogs.

I think, somewhere in my head there is a mental block that’s feeding the reader’s and writer’s block as well. The thing is men don’t adapt to change as well as women do and it’s possible I still haven’t, at least subconsciously, though I'm quite happy with my new work profile and environment. I just don’t get enough time to read or write during the week.

I have been reading some books, no more than two or three a month and a couple of short stories. I’ll be reviewing a few of these eventually. I read 10-15 pages a day, sometimes less. My fiction writing is a work in progress. I hope to have something ready, and likely e-published, before Christmas.

I have also been watching some good films, including reruns, over the past couple of months — Chef, Patch Adams, The Shawshank Redemption, Last Vegas, The Bucket List, The Talented Mr. Ripley, The Sound of Music, Frozen, Dallas Buyers Club, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, Gone Girl, Notting Hill, Sweet November, and Argo, to recall names off the top of my head. I mostly watch films the family is already watching.

One of the English channels is beaming The Flash series. I saw a couple of episodes and I thought the production was slick. I haven’t read Flash comics in several years. Comics, now there’s another joy I have been missing. This month, we intend to catch the final season of Downton Abbey to see what fate awaits the Grantham family. 
We were hooked to the previous five seasons.

I continue to post my two bits on Facebook. It has helped me connect with long-lost family and friends in my own city, in my own country. Of course, it’s one of the great illusions of Fb—you think you are getting in touch with someone, somewhere, when in effect you’re getting nowhere. It’s fun and an ego-kick depending on what you are posting.

Sometimes, I think it’s wise to slow down, step back, and start all over again—a few pages to go, one book at a time, and occasional posts. I'm hoping things will get better this month onward. I miss connecting with my blog friends.

26 comments:

  1. You've seen more movies in the past couple of months than I've seen in five or six years. I'm sure you'll be back to your "old self" before too long. Things change and things interrupt, but you eventually get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Oscar. I miss the nice little reading and blogging routine I'd got into. But you're right — interruptions don't last long.

      Delete
  2. Take care, Prashant. Sometimes you just need a break from social media.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thank you. I enjoy blogging — writing on my own and visiting other blogs. On Fb, I mostly post about books and films, and the odd nostalgia piece. I steer clear of personal issues and keep my opinions on politics, religion, and socio-economy to myself. I'm not on Twitter.

      Delete
  3. Prashant, good to get an update from you. I am glad to hear you are continuing work on your fiction writing. Watching movies can be relaxing, especially with your family. I like the Shawshank Redemption a lot, also like Argo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I have been watching movies unintentionally. I just sit down and watch whatever is playing on the telly. I liked THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION too. I believe it didn't do well when it was first released.

      Delete
  4. I think you're wise, Prashant, to step back and slow down when you are adjusting to a major change in your life - even a good change that you are adapting to easily. It still takes a toll. And there is no legally-established pace at which you are required to read, post and write. I look forward to reading your book when you've finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margot. It bothers me no end that I can't find enough time to read, write, and blog. Weekends is the only affordable time and it's hardly enough when one has many interests.

      Delete
  5. Prashant – You are not alone. Right now, I know exactly how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elgin. I like to stay up to date with my blog friends and respond to their posts. It's frustrating when I can't do that.

      Delete
  6. I find, also, that when my day job requires a fair amount of writing from me, that I'm less successful at writing more for a blog or for fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charles, that is exactly my situation. I'm going to have to see how I can work a post or two during my office hours on weekdays.

      Delete
  7. An occasional Blogging slow down helps prevent burnout. I Look forward to reading your E Book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, I have slowed down on blogging throughout this year and not because I'm tired; I simply don't find enough time. My proposed fiction could be a longish short story or a novella.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you are settlign in to your new job but this sort of change can have all sorts of ramifications - and I agree, I can feel myself fighting change even when, intellectually at least, I know it has to be done - all the best chum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sergio. My work requires a lot of writing for our PR clients. It gets tedious and repetitive after a while since I have to write or restructure articles on the same topic.

      Delete
  9. I agree, sometimes it is best to take a step back until the writing/blogging energy returns - it normally does! I think a change of day job often has this result - particularly if you're writing more during the day - you have to readjust to your new routine. Catching up on some great films sounds to me an excellent way to do just that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, thanks for visiting and commenting. I have a lot of "blogging energy" but not enough time to sit down and blog a post or visit other blogs. I'm trying to adjust to my new routine and my new job which requires some good PR writing that can be quite draining at times.

      Delete
  10. Take care mate. Glad the job is settling down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Col. It's a good place to work, in terms of both the environment and infrastructure. I'll have to work my personal writing around all the official writing I do during the day. Hopefully, I'll find a middle path.

      Delete
  11. I miss your posts Prashant but understand that it is very tough at times to read, write, research, and blog. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Neer. I miss posting on the blog. A lot of my time goes into researching and writing for my job. But I hope to find my blogging groove soon.

      Delete
  12. Prashant, just so you know, I'm doing a bunch of Sherlock Holmes posts this month at Tip the Wink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Richard, thanks for letting me know. I look forward to reading your posts on Sherlock Holmes.

      Delete
  13. I think you just have to follow your own path Prashant, and do what feels right for you right now. A change of job is always an over-exciting time! I still feel in touch with you because of your blog-commenting (on mine and others') and FB, even if there are not so many blogposts as there used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, that's what I'm trying to do, though I miss blogging the way I used to. I have ideas for a few posts but, sadly, not the time. The new job is fine although I have reached a stage in my life where I want to do something more meaningful, which is the main reason why I have turned to serious writing of my own.

      Delete