Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Chef, 2014

A review of a not so entertaining foodie movie for Tuesday’s Overlooked Films, Audio and Video over at Todd Mason’s blog Sweet Freedom.

Film promos can be deceptive. What you see on the menu is not what you're always served. For more than two weeks, a movie channel tantalised viewers with the aroma of Chef (2014) before plating it up and laying it in front of us Sunday night. 

Day after day we watched star chef Jon Favreau spit out the words, “You sit and you eat and you vomit those words back! It hurts!” We knew they were aimed at someone, probably an unhappy diner who’d tasted his food and actually spit it out. Was it Scarlett Johansson or Robert Downey Jr.?

Finally, when we sat down to watch the film at dinner time, last weekend, it turned out to be food critic Oliver Platt who’d panned Jon’s food on his popular blog and hurt his gastronomical pride.

Less than an hour into the film, we'd a mild case of indigestion as the foodie movie failed to home deliver what its much-hyped trailer had promised. Writer-director Jon Favreau took us through the gastric motions, and his own emotions, as he desperately tried to get his cooking mojo and his divorced life out of the freezer and back on the burner. An unpalatable war of words with Platt on social media and a falling out with his boss Dustin Hoffman saw Jon unexpectedly in a rolling food truck, with his young son, Emjay Anthony, and best friend, John Leguizamo—cooking food on his own terms, reconnecting with his family, and regaining his precious chef’s reputation.

Sorry, but no tips.

22 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Elgin, we got carried away by the promo, which was cleverly done.

      Delete
  2. I think I'll visit another restaurant, Prashant! Truly disappointing, too, to hear this, as I do like Dustin Hoffman. Well, this menu is not for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, the film is about Jon Favreau and his passion for cooking. Hoffman, Johansson, Downey Jr., and Oliver Platt make guest appearances.

      Delete
  3. A ver funny and thoughtful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd, thank you. We were fooled by the trailer. I thought, Favreau talked too much in the film, which others might well like.

      Delete
  4. Uh oh.....I received this as a gift a couple of weeks ago.....hmm, I hope I find it more palatable than you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Col, we were disappointed but I hope you like it. It was meant to be a comedy but wasn't. We'd have probably liked it if we hadn't watched the promos.

      Delete
  5. Prashant: I liked the movie. Of course I had never seen any promos. I thought it was a real story not the over the top creations favoured in Hollywood. I do everything possible to avoid movie promos. They say too much and are too misleading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, I thought the film did not have much of a storyline and the comic element was missing. Favreau is a very talented actor-director who likes to experiment and I have liked some of his films, but just not this one.

      Delete
  6. Shame - this sounded great when I first heard about it (even though I am no foodie) - thanks Prashant, I'll consider myself warned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sergio, I hope I haven't put you off. You are a more discerning movie buff than I can ever be and I'd be interested in knowing your views.

      Delete
  7. How disappointing. As Sergio says, you have warned us off....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moira, it was disappointing for us but I hope you'll enjoy it.

      Delete
  8. Too bad this movie did not live up to its hype. Movies about food and cooking are often fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, I have seen some good films about food and restaurants but this wasn't one of them.

      Delete
  9. I did like the movie! I stopped by to share an article I thought you might be interested in. http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ritwik-deo/jeeves-in-india-p-g-wodehouse_b_1204297.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nan! I know a few people who liked it as well. Thanks for the link. Wodehouse is immensely popular among readers of my generation.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Cartoonislands, thanks for visiting and commenting. Glad you felt the same way about the movie.

      Delete